The Chemical Business Association’s Future Council and wider Future Network were created to promote the opportunities that exist within the sector, to get the younger generation interested and involved in the chemical industry, and to attract a more diverse and inclusive talent pool to help the sector maintain its position as a vital contributor to the UK.
The Young Person’s Award’s shortlisted and winning candidates, alongside talent in the wider CBA membership, were invited to form the Future Council which has rapidly evolved to include people from a wide variety of roles and businesses; already making progress on the key Council aim of growing a strong professional network. With many events, plans and projects to come, the Chemical Business Association’s Future Council continues to find new ways to raise awareness and encourage new talent into this exciting, vital industry.
- To educate, share skills and raise awareness about the industry – both to those working in it and the wider population.
- Encourage future talent into this diverse and vital industry.
- Showcase the chemical supply chain and positively influence the perspective of the wider industry.
- To encourage excellence of individuals in the industry and recognise their contribution to the wider chemical sector.
- Grow a strong professional network, actively encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion throughout.
- Implementing a marketing plan to engage with key audiences:
- Talent already in the industry
- People choosing a career/entering the workforce
- Influences to these individuals, including: senior industry management, parents, teachers, careers advisors
- Attending and organising events:
- Industry exhibitions such as CHEMUK, SCS Formulate
- Organising and participating in outreach events,Business of Science (Leeds)
- PR and earned media:
- Maintain a strong social media presence
- Develop a strong mainstream media presence, including regional and national journals, newspapers, magazines, tv, podcasts and more.
- Give online seminars/workshops
The Future Council has attended various events, including CHEMUK, where Council members were invited onto the Big Debate stage to discuss the roles of people coming into the industry. Alongside the CHEMUK Blog.
With the aim to continue the growth of the Future Council, the group has made excellent progress with making themselves known – with a LinkedIn group and over 2,200 TikTok views to date. Aiming to expand their network throughout the wider supply chain, the CBA’s wider Future Network is a great place for non-members to become involved with some of the Future Council’s activities. Planning to attend key industry events throughout 2023, the Future Council are on the right path for growth, education and reform.